Latest News on Facebook

For all the latest news on events, sponsors, the exhibitor hall, swag bag items, the charity raffle and everything else that makes AdeptiCon the grand event it is, make sure to check our Facebook feed!

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
21 hours ago
AdeptiCon

Hyatt Recon Report

On September 30th, three of us drove over to Schaumburg to have a look at the new additional venue for this Spring's Adepticon. There were Greg and Mike, who've been involved with Adepticon for ages, and me, who would probably be best described as a flunky. We had looked up photos and floorplans for the interior of the Hyatt Regency, but thought that those can be deceiving and that a first-hand look and a meet-up with their staff was in order. We left Toledo early on Thursday evening and made the four-hour trip.

When we pulled into the parking lot of the Hyatt Regency around 11:30 pm we got our first look at the exterior of the hotel. The three of us looked at each other and it was pretty clear that none of us was impressed by what we were seeing. The place looks like The Alamo. It is a squat building made of the same brick you can find in any 1950's cop show. As we made our way in through the front doors I was thinking that we were going to have to dial back our expectations and prepare to make the best of things, feeling a little disappointed.

You know that old saw about not judging a book by its cover? Bingo.

We walked into a large, open and very modern lobby, with an excellent bar area off to one side. I think all three of us were a little surprised, and very happily so, because even in those first impressions of the interior we could see the potential this place has as a new gaming venue.

We checked into our rooms right away as we were all pretty tired from the drive. Mike and I shared a room with two double beds and were very pleased with it. There was nothing crazy fancy about it, it was just one of their average rooms, but there were a lot of nice little features like good storage space and lots of outlets to charge all of our phones, iPads and other devices. I didn't spend much time in the hotel room at the last Adepticon, so having a really awesome one isn't high on my list of priorities, but I don't want to come back every night to a terrible room. There is no danger of that in the Hyatt if the room we stayed in was any measure of their quality.

On Friday we met with the very nice folks from Hyatt and they gave us a tour of the facilities that are going to be available to us for the convention. We were blown away. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but in all honesty we were. I'm not going to include photos and comments on all of the different rooms that we are going to have access to, because quite frankly that would be a lot more information than you probably want to read, but I will include a few photos so you can see what I am talking about. And I will say this without reservation: I have been gaming for 40 years man and boy, and the space that we are going to be using in the Hyatt Regency this Spring are among the nicest that I have ever seen, and that includes the Marriott Renaissance. The main venue at the Marriott is larger, there is no question about that, but I say the new location at the Hyatt is just as nice.

We don't really know yet how the events are going to be spread out through the various rooms we'll have available. We had some ideas as we were getting our tour, of course, but anything concrete will have to wait until we see what kind of response we get as far as tournaments and events that folks want to run.

I want to wrap this up, because I'm sure you don't want to read a novel about a two day trip to Schaumburg, but I do want to quickly list what I see as the "pros" of the new venue at the Hyatt. There is only one con in my mind, and that is the fact that we are separated from the main venue. It is not a big con for me, considering the Marriott is quite close and a robust shuttle service is being planned to link the two sites, but you will have to make up your own mind on how big a deal it is for you.

As to the pros, well I already covered the quality and quantity of space that is going to be open to us in the Hyatt and my opinion of the hotel rooms. To those I will add a very large parking lot at the rear of the hotel which should provide more than enough parking for those staying at the Hyatt or attending events there. There are also quite a few restaurants within walking distance or a short drive that run the full gamut of price range and the type of fare offered. There is a nice taphouse attached to the bar we got dinner at Saturday night. There is an Olive Garden and a Longhorn Steakhouse directly across the street, there is a bit more upscale restaurant attached to the hotel, and within about a five-minute drive there is a mall and a fair number of fast food places. You won't go hungry. As a closer I will include the Hyatt staff, who seem very happy to work with Adepticon to provide the best experience for those attending the convention.

Finally, with the new venue there have to be some changes to how things are organized. Because historical gaming is the major chunk of the events being moved to the Hyatt, there is going to be a new head of historical gaming for Adepticon. Mike Rafferty, who has been with Adepticon for more than a decade, is going to be overseeing all of the events and operations at the new venue. Because this is so new, we want to make sure that we hear from you about what you would like to see, or maybe what you don't want to see, and to that end we have set up a new email address that will go straight to Mike. Please use historicals@adepticon.org to contact us.

I guess that's enough from me. If you've stayed all the way through this, thanks. I can get a little wordy.

Don
... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

We are thrilled to welcome AdeptiCon!

Hyatt is very close to Kuma’s Corner kumasschaumburg.com which has some of the best burgers in Chicagoland (and all metal on the sound system). A strong selling point!

We are thrilled with your experience at the Hyatt! That lobby, right?! We look forward to having you back to Chicago Northwest.

Schaumburg has a big advantage also in that there’s a huge number of places in “close” distance (<20 minutes), if you’re willing to drive a little bit to avoid crowds.

As a local, I'm very excited for all of this! Happy to hear that you found the surrounding area satisfactory as well. Giordano's is right down the street!! 🍕

It's a good convention hotel. Do they still have some function space down on a lower level? That was the only real drawback, and frankly it's not that bad of one as function space goes.

Are you planning any events to utilize the swank dance floors?

When is the deadline for submitting events?

Thanks for the report! So is this in downtown Chicago?

Sorry confused by the post. Website only mentions Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center Hotel. Can I get a better understanding of this post about the Hyatt. I am a vendor that as already has my hotel reservation so sure all is okay but very confused by this post. Many thanks.

It's cool you found a location for two folks to play World in Flames. Where are the rest of the grognards going to game?

John Checklick Nick Morris

Can't wait!

View more comments

1 day ago
AdeptiCon

Just hours left to back the best new wet palette for miniature painters! Game Envy's Exemplar Premier Wet Palette System is a versatile wet palette full of innovative features combined with advanced palette supplies to give painters and hobbyists of all skill levels an ideal painting experience, even on the go. Check out Game Envy's Kickstarter here.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/gameenvy/exemplar-premier-wet-palette-system?ref=7d6q05

Hobby Holder + Game Envy
... See MoreSee Less

Just hours left to back the best new wet palette for miniature painters!  Game Envys Exemplar Premier Wet Palette System is a versatile wet palette full of innovative features combined with advanced palette supplies to give painters and hobbyists of all skill levels an ideal painting experience, even on the go.  Check out Game Envys Kickstarter here.

Hobby Holder + Game EnvyImage attachmentImage attachment

Comment on Facebook

It gets my approval! Palette is very very good. Best I’ve used

They wanna sponsor any poor yet moderately skilled mini painters? 😉

3 days ago
AdeptiCon

It's Work in Progress Wednesday everyone! Share some pictures of what you're working on. I know I'm deep in to painting for some games I'm going to be running at the con, what are you working on? #adepticon2022 #adepticon #wip #wipwednesday ... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

Taking a little break from my Ork army and doing some Halloween minis for some spooky season fun. 😁

Hoping to get some infinity in at AdeptiCon so I’m working on that!

New crews for #Malifaux!

Still trying to get through the Hexfire Grey Knights.

Drazhar for my Drukhari *very WIP*

Bloab Rotspawned for AoS.

Haven't quite started yet but I bought these wonderful models with the hope of entering them in the Golden Demon! Still brainstorming color schemes. If there's a P3 Grandmaster as well I may try to put forth a couple entries in that too 🙂

Blocking out colors on the Gal Vorbak for my Word Bearers

Just finished building these wolfy bois

Working on stone black legion

Sector Imperialis bases for my Grey Knights

Just finished Snickers the Weisel:

Working up some conquest!

Fallout Wasteland Warfare!

Going old school

Harambo!

Working on some infantry for Dream Pod 9, Inc. Heavy Gear Blitz!

Custom Teclis and Celennar for the Age of Sigmar Championship event

Just putting finishing touches on some Dutch Leopard 2 MBT's.

159 days to go!

View more comments

2 weeks ago
AdeptiCon

Your historical vanguard hard at work!

Touring the new venue, making layouts, and preparing for an awesome 2022! #adepticon #adepticon2022
... See MoreSee Less

Your historical vanguard hard at work!

Comment on Facebook

This next year will be my son’s first visit to adepticon, can’t wait to be back!

What sticks do y’all have?

new venue ???? what

Looking kinda stupid with the feces like stick sitting in your mouths

1 month ago
AdeptiCon

Looks like 'Star Wars: Legion' is about to get a whole lot more interesting. From the grim determination of the splinter, Death Watch to the galaxy-spanning grasp of the nefarious Pyke Syndicate, these new additions look to add the right amount of scum and villainy to your games. ... See MoreSee Less

1 month ago
AdeptiCon

The Heaviest of Hearts

It is with a profound sadness that we must inform you of the passing of Nathanial Taylor, a good friend to many AdeptiCon attendees and staff and someone who devoted so much time and energy into making the convention the event we all love. Nate worked tirelessly, his organizational and logistical acumen matched only by his enthusiasm to bring players games that bordered on the cinematic in scope and were always fun to play. His gregarious nature, almost limitless patience, and bombastic style were hallmarks of the Horus Heresy and Adeptus Titanicus events he designed and ran. Behind the scenes, Nate volunteered untold hours building and painting terrain, an integral and beloved member of a team of people that devote so much of their own time, energy, and resources to the success of the convention.

At AdeptiCon, after a long day of epic miniature battles and tabletop campaigns, you could rest assured that you could grab a pint at the bar, pull up a chair, and join the group listening to Nate regale them with accounts of the day’s exploits. Nate was practically dwarven (also a skilled brewer, by the way) in his love of a tale well told and his own ability to weave a story, to make even the mundane entertaining, was legendary. His voice will be keenly missed.

The miniatures gaming community has lost a champion, AdeptiCon has lost one of its most vital team members, and many have lost a cherished friend. There are times when words do truly fail, and we don’t know exactly how to convey a loss. In the end, when AdeptiCon does return and you finally see friends you haven’t greeted now for a couple years, make sure you remind them how important they are to you. Don’t take those friendships for granted.

And, finally, if raising a glass is your thing, then raise a pint to Nate. We think he’d like that.

The AdeptiCon Staff
... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

This is just awful….. RIP Nate….your legio sinistorum Warlord titan you painted and sold to me will always watch over my gaming room and I will think of you every time I look at it….

My heart weighs heavy. He brought me into the gaming world, to a new family, to so many good friends. We were all so lucky to have him there answering questions, running events, bringing to life the monstrosity of the Big Blam, and being a huge part of the life of the party. He looked up to so many of you as I do, he was so grateful to be a part of this. It was his favorite event of the year, like a holiday or a homecoming. Prep wasn't always easy, but it was always worth it. You could see it in his eyes, the fire, the excitement. He left behind a legacy as genuine and unique as himself, there will be a noticeable hole in his wake. I can't wait to see you all and game the best way we know how, with a fervor that Nate would smile on.

I'm going to be posting this around, so sorry for repeating myself. But this is extremely sad news because Nate is the reason I got into 30k. Over the years, I would volunteer at the NOVA Open and when I would swing by the 30k events, I would comment to Nate that the tables and armies looked amazing. When I told Nate that I wasn't sure I could commit to a FW game, he encouraged me to look into ZM lists so I could return the following year to play with the 30k crew. I finally took the plunge last year and was really looking forward to going to NOVA to tell Nate I finally took his advice. But unfortunately, I never had a chance to do this and that's why this news is tough. That said, I'll carry the spirit of his enthusiasm for 30k and the hobby anytime I roll up with my army to play in the future. I think he'd like that, wherever he is now.

Man, he was such a good friend. I miss him terribly. Thanks for writing this excellent tribute mysterious AdeptiCon account, ha. I'm lifting the pint up through the goddamn roof tonight for sure. Be good to each other and go out of your way to make time for your loved ones. We are fragile things.

Nate was one of the first people I met when I stopped playing 40k and started playing heresy every Adepticon. He was always friendly, quick to laugh, and welcoming. He was a good guy and he's gonna be missed terribly.

I'm at a loss of words and terribly saddened by this news. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Nate was amazing and kind and greeted me with loving welcome. I truly enjoyed sharing space with him. Rest Easy

Damn it, I hate to read this….Nate was a stand-up dude I loved just chatting with him and talking hobby, he was filled with passion for our game of toy soldiers……….Rest easy bro….

RIP Nate. To you!

What a huge loss to the gaming community. One of the best dudes I remember from the Horus Heresy events I attended. RIP

Stunned and greatly saddened to hear of his passing, Nate was a great guy and always the life of the party.

I have no words. Nate played such a large role in why I fell in love with the adepticon family. I have no words. Go rest in the emperors light. You will be missed.

Only met and spoke to Nate a couple of times, but his passion for gaming was one of the reasons I fell in love with playing Heresy at Adepticon. Nate was incredibly welcoming and positive, and will be missed. A toast to the passing of a great.

Wow, he was a great guy and a stand up gamer. His lost will be sorely felt across the community.

A tremendous loss for his family, friends, and our community. He was a wonderful person and will be missed greatly.

Loss for words. Nate was at my first Adepticon and every one since then. Adepticon will truly never be the same without him.

Sad news, very kind and welcoming person. Save us all a seat at the big gaming table upstairs. You will be missed.

Going to miss you Nate. Rest in peace amigo.

So sad, loved Nate, such a good human, gone way too soon

I only ever interacted with him at Adepticon. And he was one I always looked forwarded to spending time with and talking to. You’ll be missed sir.

I remember meeting him at my first Adepticon, and seeing him at every one after. Upon turning in my list my first year I remember him yelling across the room to no one in particular, "This guy has the balls to bring militia to a zone mortalis game! And they're squats!" I immediately was having fun. I always made sure to sign up for at least one of his events. A true loss for the community, and my condolences to his loved ones

He will be missed! Welcomed us Danes with open arms both times at Adepticon!

Me ran the first 30k game i ever played i only had a thunderhawk but he welcomed me to the cause and have me a pin from Nova and invited me to come tho due to covid i never got the chance, i shook his had and said the emperor protects see ya next year

We will miss you Nate.

RIP Nathanial. Will toast you often. Hope they serve your favorites in himnaríki.

View more comments

2 months ago
AdeptiCon

AdeptiCon 2022 Information Update

The Outer Rim/Hyatt Schaumburg Venue

As we’ve announced, the convention has been able to secure additional space at the Hyatt Regency Schaumburg. By adding this venue, we can not only provide more space for events scheduled there, but also allow for a greater level of flexibility for events at the main site. In an uncertain and fluid environment, having that flexibility is key. The Hyatt, a 5–6-minute drive from the Schaumburg Convention Center, is a state-of-the art hotel with decades of experience in hosting various shows and conventions.

In 2022, the Hyatt Regency will play host to AdeptiCon’s growing slate of historical-themed miniatures games. This includes popular events like Bolt Action, Flames of War, and SAGA, but will also include historical based games ranging from the Bronze Age to the Napoleonic Wars to the “what if” WWIII scenarios of the 1980’s. AdeptiCon will be working closely with companies like Warlord Games and Battlefront to make the best use of this new space. AdeptiCon will also have dedicated staff present who are veteran historical gamers and who share a passion for the historical gaming hobby. It is our intention that this new venue provide our expanding collection of historical events the room and staff it needs to continue that expansion into the future.

If your planned AdeptiCon gaming schedule focuses on historical miniatures, then you may want to consider booking your accommodations at the Hyatt. But there are other reasons to make the Hyatt your AdeptiCon headquarters. The hotel is located within walking distance of a number of restaurants and local attractions, including Woodfield Mall and Legoland Discovery Center.

2022 Health and Safety

As we’ve expressed previously, there is no more important priority than the safety and well-being of our attendees, volunteers, exhibitors, and staff. In an ideal world, we would know exactly what measures we would need to implement for March 2022 and relay those to you. Unfortunately, if the last two years have taught us anything, it’s that situations can change, sometimes rapidly. If the current trends continue, we expect that masks will be required in all indoor spaces. It is also possible that additional measures may be required, including, but not limited to, proof of vaccination. AdeptiCon has and will continue to monitor the public health situation closely. Once any decision is made, we will update you as quickly as possible. We understand that you have questions and concerns, as do we, but there are too many variables in play between now and March 2022 to be definitive about procedures and it would be disingenuous to tell you otherwise. Please continue to be patient and safe and stay tuned.

... See MoreSee Less

AdeptiCon 2022 Information Update

The Outer Rim/Hyatt Schaumburg Venue

2022 Health and Safety

Coming Soon. Badge and event ticket registration will open in early December. Stay tuned for exact dates.Image attachment

Comment on Facebook

Please consider a vaccination mandate. Masks are great and I will gladly wear one, but the protection vaccination offers is orders of magnitude greater than a mask.

Myself and my group is vaxxed and we will be getting any/all recommended boosters to make sure Adepticon 2022 happens.

I can also announce, semi-officially, that there will be a historical painting competition on-site at the Hyatt. We're in the very earliest of stages of planning and organizing, but this will be a competition exclusively for historical models with at least 3-4 categories. And we should have some great sponsors. So stay tuned (I'm also still working on the name).

Thanks for the clarity and flexibility! Can’t be easy with such a massive undertaking, so having that dialogue now helps a lot.

I hope things don’t go pear shaped between now and then (or any more than they already are). Really looking forward to going.

Thank you for the update! And thanks for keeping the health info transparent and flexible as the situation changes.

I hope that a mask mandate, if required, would be enough. Not a huge fan of a vaccination mandate. I understand that adepticon and it's staff needs to do what they think is right. I also understand that adepticon and it's staff may not have a choice, as it would be up to the venue, city, state and such as well. I don't plan to get vaccinated any time soon. If my family and I need to miss out I hope everyone else can WAAAAAGGGGHHH ON!

What about those people who had their 2020 funds roll over to 2021 and then, again to 2022? If vaccines are required, what about those people who didn’t want to get one? Just curious honestly. If it is required that’s fine, as I won’t come, and I won’t make a fuss of it as it is Adepticon’s right to ask it. My wife and Are having our first child and we were waiting until we finished having kids to get it, as we have concerns over it affecting our kids. Even our doctor said the data won’t be available on that for another 3-4 years and didn’t say we needed to get it. Thanks and again, to reiterate before I get bombarded with comments attacking me, I’m fine if it is a mandatory thing. Just want to know how rollover funds would work out or if I’d lose my previously paid status. Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up. We appreciate it. Im excited to spend time at both locations. As for Covid. The approach it sounds like you are taking is a good one. Keep up the good work.

Looks like I will be across the street from all my friends. That us to bad, we would walk around and check up with each other between game rounds, meet up in the dealer room... this will be a different experience for me.

Will refunds be given if the conditions change such that an individual is not able to attend, even if others can attend? (ie - not a cancellation but requirements that would exclude an individual).

Thank you for the update. It will be interesting to see how this goes with two separate sites.

About half my group does mainly historical, the other half 40K or Infinity, Star Wars Legion or some other SF game. Will Infinity et al be at Hyatt or Renaissance? (I’m assuming Renaissance, but would appreciate clarification if anyone has any)

Where will Horus Heresy (30K) be this year? It's the history fiction for a far-future sci-fi game.

Will there be painting classes at Adepticon 2022? If so, I assume they'd be at the Renaissance again?

Appreciate the update! Cannot wait for Adepticon 2022!

But most importantly, where will board games be? Lol

Board game area at Renaissance still?

Will a link be posted here tomorrow to register for the hotels?

What about those whos medical history prevents them from receiving the vaccine?

Thanks for the update!

Now that there is a whole extra building, will there be room to have 9th Age again?

Masks and proof of vaccination would make a lot of people from outside the US very happy. Even if the state doesnt require them i think itd be a smart move

View more comments